Campus Safety and Security
St. John’s College is committed to providing a safe campus for students, faculty, professional staff and visitors. The college works with HSHS St. John’s Hospital to provide security and services to the campus community and works with with the security department at St. John's Hospital and local law enforcement agencies to provide a security program which promotes safety on college property for students and employees.
The college facility consists of a two-story brick building located at 729 E. Carpenter Street, Springfield, IL on the campus of St. John’s Hospital. The building is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. Changes in the general hours are posted for students, faculty, administration and visitors.
Students can access the college from 6 a.m. - 6 p.m., Monday through Friday, by using their student identification badges and the card swipe system. During business hours security officers are available if assistance is needed. After the building is closed and locked, security officers periodically check to ensure there are no intruders, doors are securely locked and no other safety threats are apparent.
Security cameras are located at all entry points of the building and other locations in the building. Yellow emergency phones are located in parking lots and by the front and side doors of the college. The emergency phones can be used to summon help and/or report suspicious or criminal activity. When a safety threat is on-going, security or administration will send emails and text messages to students.
Smoke and sprinkler systems are located throughout the building and classrooms. Fire alarms extinguishers are located in hallways. Evacuation diagrams are located in all hallways. An automated external defibrillator (AED) is located on the first floor.
Parking and vehicle assistance
St. John’s Hospital security officers are available 24/7. These individuals provide escort services to parked vehicles and are available for a battery charge, if your car fails to start, assistance with a flat tire or locked car. For vehicle and parking assistance call security at 44020 from any college phone, or call 217-814-4020 when using a cell phone or phone outside the college building.
Vehicle and walking safety
- Carry your car keys when approaching your vehicle so you can enter quickly.
- Always check underneath/around your car upon approach and in the rear seat for intruders before entering your vehicle.
- Lock your doors and keep windows rolled up whenever possible.
- Limit distractions such as cell phones.
- Lock personal items in your trunk.
- Avoid leaving GPS systems and other electronic devices visible.
- ALWAYS be alert of your surroundings.
- Avoid using headphones while walking.
- Avoid walking alone.
- Whenever possible, walk with a group of people or partner.
- Contact security at extension 44020 or 111 if you feel uncomfortable walking to or from your vehicle.
- Avoid walking in dimly lit areas.
- Utilize emergency phones located throughout the campus.
- Walk with the least amount of belongings as possible.
- If you have car problems such as lock-out or failure to start, contact security at ext. 44020 or (217) 814-4020.
Access to building
- Always carry your photo ID badge with you for access to the building.
- Never allow anyone else to use your badge.
- Avoid leaving your badge lying around.
- Never prop open doors.
- Avoid allowing individuals to follow behind you when accessing the building.
- If you believe an unauthorized person has gained access to the building, get to a safe place and contact security immediately, ext. 44020 or 111. If using an outside phone call (217) 814-4020 or 911.
Security contact information
Annual Security Report
Emergency Operations Plan
Sexual Misconduct Policy
Rights and options after filing a sexual misconduct complaint
- Communications Center (Dispatch): ext. 44020 or 44021
- Emergency: Dial 111 or 911
- To call security from an outside line: (217) 814-4020 or 911